Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Anouska Hempel ~ Blakes Hotel London

I've always held a certain fascination for Anouska Hempel
and her bold and versatile designs. In this post, I'm showcasing
her designs from her hotel chain ~ The Blakes Hotel London.

Anouska Hempel was born as Anne Geissler in New Zealand.
Looks like somewhere along the way she changed her name
completely. She moved to the UK in 1962 and married a
journalist and propery developer Constantine Hempel who later
died in a car accident. She later remarried.

Anouska Hempel started out as a TV actress who turned into a
hotelier and designer. Her designs are very bold and she designs
everything form couture to landscaping.

The above photo is my absolute favourite suite in the Blakes Hotel
in London. It is called the Corfu Suite and is all white.

More angles of the Corfu suite including a very romantic
four poster bed with white linens and draperies. I love
how she used white boards for the flooring with a very
organic wood coffee table. Despite it being a hotel suite,
it looks so incredibly homey.

The living area of the suite.

And a look from the bed. How divine!

Other suites in the hotel are decorated completely
differently including very old world and over the top
luxurious designs.

Very Lux and Very European.

Look at this ornate daybed!

I love how she designs her four poster beds.
She somehow manages to make them look
wonderfully cozy despite the formal decor.

Love how she accessorized this sitting area
on the walls and the coffee table.

This is certainly unlike any bathroom I've seen
in any hotel. The wood is absolutely gorgeous.

The diagonal striping is surprising - one would
expect straight or horizontal lines but not diagonal
striping which seems a bit whimsical.

Anouska Hempel is an expert at layering and texutres.
Look at all those pillows and draping! It looks stunning.

This room has more of a provincial country side feel
to it. It's so neat how she juxtaposed such formal decor
with countryside chic all in the same hotel.

I totally fell in love with this tub the first time I laid eyes
on it. The bow reminds me of Anya Hindmarch's emblem.

I hope you've enjoyed this tour

All photos from the Blakes Hotel site.


Jessica @ The Love List said...

I adore that grey diagonally striped canopy, I'm a sucker for all things that beautiful slate color. if that bed were mine I would never leave it!

Fifi Flowers said...

Love all the drapery! So lush and beautiful!
I had to unsubscribe to your site... having trouble reading it in my email... but I will be by daily! Love your site!

franki durbin said...

normally I don't leave your blog craving a nap. ;)

Mango Gal said...

Can I live there? It's so beautiful!

annechovie said...

What a stunning hotel, Karen. Anouska has such style! Great post.

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

The Corfu bed is amazing. I think I could take one heck of a nap in that dream inducer.

Cote de Texas said...

to die for~!!!

Paris Hotel Boutique said...

Wow Karen! What a beautiful post! You always find the greatest hotels and the photos are to die for! Lynn

Topsy Turvy said...

Wow, love it! Looks like a good reason to visit London to me!


My Notting Hill said...

We stayed at The Blakes in 2003 - a few nights at the beginning of our trip and 2 nights at the end. You have the two rooms along with a pic of the bathroom w/wood floors - pics #6, 9 and 12. And, they let us take a nap in the room with the horizontal stripes because our room wasn't ready and we had helped a very distinguished gentleman when he slipped on the wet stone outside the hotel (turns out he was regular restaurant customer.) We loved our stay there. Michele

Alkemie said...

Michele, That must have been an amazing stay!! I'm very jealous :) Some day I'm going to try to make it to that white Corfu suite lol. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments. I totally agree that looking at all of these beds are a dream inducer lol.


{this is glamorous} said...

Karen, it's beautiful -- especially the Corfu Suite, which is positively dreamy! Also love the gray/white striped suite -- just lovely.

Villa Anna said...

I can't believe this is actually a hotel! With all these lush rooms it's more like a palace. I'm with you and everyone else, the corfu room is pure heaven!

I loved this post!

Anna :)

p.s To answer your question, Belle magazine is an Australian publication :)

ed said...

情趣用品,A片,AIO,AV,AV女優,A漫,免費A片,日本AV,寄情築園小遊戲,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色文學,色情,色情遊戲,一葉情貼圖片區,色情網站,色情影片,微風成人, 嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,18成人,成人影城,成人圖片,成人影片,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,080視訊聊天室,視訊聊天室






Anonymous said...

Hi, I think your blog might be having browser
compatibility issues. When I look at your website in Ie,
it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer,
it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
Other then that, terrific blog!

my web blog acoustic guitar chords for beginners