Friday, February 20, 2009

The Allure and Mystery of Silhouettes

I've always loved silhouettes. Whether it be in
a cut out, a cameo brooch or a photograph. I've
always found the shapes alluring and mysterious
since silhouettes only show profiles or outlines.

I love the cut out silhouettes above - especially
the ones with plaid in frames. It's a really fun

Silhouettes in a lovely inspiration board.

A series of framed furniture silhouettes
can be very elegant in a group.

This is a unique silhouette near the hem
of a woman's pants.

I love this grouping of silhouettes on the wall.

Cameos and silhouettes as jewelry are just
as lovely.

You can't really go wrong with a pink and
black combination for color. What fun fabric!

Wallpaper with silhouettes galore. I totally
want Barbara Barry's chair silhouettes.

Many silhouettes are only busts but there are some really
neat silhouettes above that are of a whole person or people

Barbara Barry chair silhouette plates with more traditional
silhouette plates.

The silhouette of a woman is cleverly placed
on the back of this chair.

What do you think of silhouettes? Do you like
them or hate them?

All photos from Country Living.


Abby said...

Great post! I love silhouette. I've been wanting to do a little diy project with silhouette cutouts of myself and my little dogs.

The Bean said...

I love these! The one with the plaid dress is so cool! Thanks for starting my morning off right.

sofeaann said...

nice post !! love them too !!!!
been wanting to get one cutout of myself !!wonder how i 'll look then ..he he!!

iva yaneva said...

very nice! I especially like the plates - very elegant and stilish :)

Kimba said...

I love silhouettes and this collection of photos is fabulous! Thanks for sharing them.

I linked to this post from my blog today.


LindsB said...

I love them!! I recently did ones of myself and the BF and put them in black frames, they came out so cute.

Maggie May said...

yes, the plaid dress is amazing- the contrast of the seriousness of a silhouette with the whimsy of plaid...
and the plates!! wonderful.

Yoli said...

Karen thanks for sharing those are lovely! I am coveting the shoes though...yum.

annechovie said...

I love silhouettes, Karen! What a wonderful group of examples you have here! P.S. that QE2 silhouette in my photo wasn't a card, but I silhouette collage I made ( I sell a large version in my Etsy shop) Hope you have a terrific weekend!

Leigh said...

LOve How sweet is the example of the ones in the hutch!

giggleness said...

so gorgeously pretty :)

Anonymous said...

Do you have any resource info. for the wallpapers and fabric on the back of the chair in the last photo. These are beautiful!!!? GREAT post. Love it!


Meade Design Group said...

This post is so much fun - I love Silhouettes.

Actually, I designed a faux fireplace with the silhoutte as a back concept. It turned amazing.

michelle said...

I love the graphic nature of Silhouettes! And...I love the faux fireplace in your office Ivan!

Thanks for the inspiration...

dolcechic said...

I love silhouettes! I was going to ask you what color you painted your walls? I love the color. I'm just in the process of taking down my wallpaper....well, if I ever finish! ;)

Sa-Sea Boutique said...

i love them! i love them all!!! this post reminds me that I need to get my kids silhouettes done the next time we go to Disney!

DesignTies said...

I'm seeing silhouettes everywhere these days, and it's a good thing because I think they're great! Thanks for sharing these lovely images.
Victoria @ DesignTies

bARE-eYED sUN said...

i never paid silhouettes much mind. but i may rethink my non-attitudes. the way you've presnted them makes them very attractive.

there may even be a more modern potential . . . hmmm . . . going to give this some thought.

thank you for this post. :-)


Things That Inspire said...

I remember your silhouette from Disneyland! Great collection of silhouettes in fashionable uses.

Pascale said...

j'aime beaucoup les sièges en silhouette,ils seraient très bien pour décorer mon atelier.


dwellings and decor said...

These seems to be a pretty popular trend. I love what you have found! I am actually designing a website with silhouettes.

layersofmeaning said...

gorgeous images
thanks for the post!

Anonymous said...

oh those SHOES! where on earth did you find that image? i need those! :)

Paloma {La Dolce Vita} said...

What a fantastic collection of silhouettes!

Cote de Texas said...

I love this. there is something about the black and white that is just so attractive!


ed said...









pinkstilettos said...

Absolutely Love them! I really like those plates but all of these photos are gorgeous! Daisy~