Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Masterful Use of Color - Jeffrey Bilhuber

Jeffrey Bilhuber has a fantastic eye for mixing in pops of color
and texture into every room. I think many of his rooms are
simply brilliant. I used to not like the color orange but now
I find it rather invigorating and quite nice when used in the
right way.

Here's a larger view of the same room. The orange really
brings some energy and vibrancy to the room. It's amazing
how different colors in our environment can make us feel
so different.

I'm a total sucker for tufted furniture and for nailheads. I
loved how he used nailheads instead of molding to provide
more architectural details and texture to the room. So very

If you look closely at this room, there are lightly stenciled
trees on the peach walls. The lavender chairs provide a
really neat contrast in color.

I think this is a fantastic room for a book lover.

Not sure if this is wallpaper or a painted pattern on the wall.
Either way it's fantastic. I always wish I had that sort of
artistic ability. Alas! I must make do with stencils. I can't
even write in a straight line...

This room is so cozy and I love how eclectic it is. The purple
throw pillows really add a pop of color. The peacock is
quite interesting.

Ok, I'm totally drooling over the carpet in this
room. Isn't it cool or what? Now where can I
find a pattern or plaid flooring like this?

Here's more of that gorgeous flooring with orange knit
throws. At first I thought they were twin beds in the room,
but it's unique to use twin chaise chairs instead.

You may recognize this dining room from the cover of
Jeffrey Bilhuber's latest book. I love how eclectic it is
with an unusual color mix.

Again, a floor covering to die for. How
about those luscious purple arm chairs.

What a polished and relaxing guest bedroom.
I espcially love the cute tufted chair to the side.

Jeffrey Bilhuber: Defining Luxury:
The Qualities of Life at Home

If you like Jeffrey Bilhuber's designs as much as
I do, you must get his latest book. It's published
by Rizzoli which is a publisher with stunning books.
I'm a huge fan of the books Rizzoli puts out.

All photos from Bilhuber & Associates


Paloma {La Dolce Vita} said...

He is such a huge talent! I love that he isn't afraid of making a bold gesture.

dolcechic said...

I love his work. I will definitely have to check out his latest book.

Miss Kris said...

Beautiful work! I am a hugh fan of lavender and orange, to see these colours come together I'm hooked!!!

Merci for these pretty images!

Yoli said...

Karen those are stunning and I agree with you about those cool floors. On the first shot I wonder what the wall hanging is made of, it is so beautiful. Also the bed has a throw at the bottom which is quite interesting.

DesignTies said...

I'm crazy about Orange and Jeffrey Bilhuber's use of orange is inspiring! I also think the room with the purple chairs is terrific - I know my blog partner Kelly would want those armchairs in a heart beat!
Victoria from EdinDesigns @ DesignTies

Ash said...

Those rooms are fab! I love the Abe Lincoln art.

Pearl said...

Absouletly Gorgeous Rooms! Love it!

Zelda said...

HIS IS REALLY GOOD IN COLORS ! and it is so inviting cosy

Paulette Ink. said...

I am a book lover, and I do think that room is fantastic! What a clever and beautiful way to store books and show them off at the same time. All of these rooms are amazing...

Creme de la Mode said...

I'm intrigued by that piece of art in the first photo - what do you think that is made of? It almost looks like hand carved capiz shells, just layered over and over. Any idea? It's such a great focal point.

OLIVEAUX said...

Gorgeous! I would love to have all those books too.

Kevin Isbell said...

Greetings. I just stumbled upon your post. I am the Design Director for Bilhuber and Associates. the stencil on the pale pink (they look peach in the photos) is actually a wallpaper by deGounay inspired by Paul Poiret.

the room which you questioned wallpaper or paint is also deGournay (and happens to be Jeffrey's bedroom) He felt it was a bit too "twee" so he had NYC artist Nancy Lorenz add the silver and gold splatters to add a bit of edge.

So glad you are enjoying the book it was a labor of love.

Thanks again

anastasia said...

interesting color choices, they really make the house come alive. i love the little details in the rooms, and the unique ways that traditional fabric techniques were used on the walls.

Rachel said...

I love your site!!! I love all the colorful photographs your feature- what an interesting read!!

I too love Jeffrey's work. And actually, I know a *little* (as in, I read the magazine article) about the 11th picture down - it's Mariska Hargitay's apartment in NYC. And the rug is a Tibetan wool/silk blend. It's a GORGEOUS room,and you should see the rest of their place too. It was featured in Town and Country, I believe.

Love your site - and I too love the color purple!!!

My Notting Hill said...

Love the bedroom w/the bed against the bookshelves. Agree - Rizzoli has great books - recently they seem to have the very best designer publishing w/them/

maison21 said...

he certainly is talented- one of my faves.

Lena Kroupnik said...

I love his work! One of my favorite design books in my library is Jeffrey Bilhuber's Design Basics. Thank you for an informative post!