Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Ikea Inspiration: A Scandinavian Abode - Modern, Colorful, Simple

I'm telling you, the Scandinavians really have the right idea
when it comes to affordable design whether it be furnishings
or fashion (hello Ikea and H&M.) Their just in time model of
manufacturing is second to none in the world. Can you believe
that H&M can take a design from paper to the actual stores
in less than a month? Anyways, Trudi of The Deco Detective
has really got me hooked on some of these Scandinavian homes
and publications.

I totally Adore the home and space above. Anyone could so
design a home like the above with just Ikea and some creative
ideas. The space above is a bit odd but the open plan really
makes up for it.

I love the way the Scandinavians juxtapose modern touches
with wood and organic elements like the pickled floor.

A nice little space for a coat room.

Notice the rustic beams at the top of the vaulted ceiling.

The glas sliding doors really brighten
up the kitchen and dining space.

Pops of color in all the right places can really
make a difference.

Isn't the back splash design fun?

What a fun pattern for a sofa.

A Japanese tea set with different colored tea.



And at the end of a long day, what could be
better than a bath?

I hope this home has given you more inspiration
that it's totally possible to have a chic place to live
solely with furniture from Ikea and thrift shops.

All photos by Per-Magnus Persson from Bolig Magasinet

13 comments:

Jade Creative said...

Ikea has got some great stuff. It is how it's positioned in the space that creates the visual pizazz.
Have a fabulous day!
Darlene

Amy said...

I love the architecture of the place. I believe I would love it without a sibgle thing in it. Stunning. The interesting details, the beams. Sigh.

Yoli said...

That third photograph contains a mood that I love. Bare minimal, yet speaks volumes.

Jeanneoli said...

Loving the beams!!! Beautiful.

TheDecoDetective said...

Thank you for the link love Karen! It looks like there's lots going on in Scandinavia, and the (traditionally) very different styles in the different countries are very interesting to observe. It'll probably change with the Internet though. The national and regional traditions get wiped out by global trends. Maybe I should dig up my old book about Scandinavian interiors and do a post. Thanks for the inspiration!

IKEA is great if you're a bit choosy; I'm really happy with almost everything I've bought there over the years. Both IKEA and H&M also try to have an ecological and ethical profile. It's not easy, but it's good that they try.

Thanks for your email; answer's coming up!
Trudi

Rachel said...

I've been happy with my Ikea purchases too! I think they're a great deal for the price they are. And you're so right - they have great Scandinavian design. Which is easy to mix with other things.

I love the architecture here,though. I think you could put almost anything in here and it would look great!

Sara said...

Does anyone have an idea what the backsplash is? Wallpaper? Glass covered wall paper? Something entirely different?

It's definitely giving me some cost effective backsplash ideas for my kitchen...

corine said...

This is such a cute little apartment. The photography helps make it gorgeous.

from the right bank said...

I totally agree - the Swedes really hit the nail on the head with both Ikea and H&M.

Fifi Flowers said...

Sooooo much you can do with IKEA and Thrift Store finds... great post!

DesignTies said...

That is a fantastic home. Love the interesting angles and nooks, and the white walls with the wood and hits of colour. And yes, the patterns on the backsplash and sofa are lots of fun!!!

Definitely a very inspirational space :-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

Mango Gal said...

I love the wood beams in the kitchen, so pretty.

Caroline said...

I love your blog :) I accidentally bumped into it, and I will for sure return :) Great inspiration pics.