Monday, August 10, 2009

Living With Books - In the Living Room

I know...this isn't the living room but I think it's a pretty
neat way to surround one's self with books. I'm pretty
addicted to books and am constantly trying to find new
ways and places to put my books and magazines. I'm
beginning to think that I should just turn my living room
into a mini library of sorts.

Here's a living room from a Domino reader who
entered Domino's contest. I love the coffee table
and how all of the magazines on the shelves are
stacked upwards instead of how magazines and
books are normally put upright on shelves. Great
color coordination between the pillows and the
artwork on the shelves.

Here's a retro-modern looking living room with
some pretty cool furniture. I really love how
there's a sliding door on one of the shelves and
that the rectangular shelving is long enough to
install ambient lights under it.

Now this is what I'm talking about, a library as
a living room. Color coordinating your books can
be a fun way or organizing your books in an
aesthetic sense.

Oh this living room is perhaps missing some seating and a
coffee table but it's got a fine frame for a library - living
room in the makings.

Books, files, shelving in the living room - all in white... Why not?

If you have the luxury of being able to have built in
shelves, there's a lot of fun you have with them. You
can paint, wallpaper or mirror the backs of the shelves
among many other ideas to spruce things up.

Here's a perfect example of painting the backs
of a set of built in book shelves.

Or you could go for the monotone look and paint the
shelves the same color as the walls. I adore the fabric
on the upholstered chair and the mirror in the faux
fire place. It's lots of fun.

This living room has no shortage of elegance. The
creamy chesterfield inspired sofa with soaring
ceilings, window drapes and matching tall book case
is a hard combination to beat. The book shelf really
accentuates the height of the room. You can see that
even the side table is stacked high with books and a
plant to top if off.

Bright Yellow painted shelves with a patterned sofa
to boot. Looks like a great place to snuggle up in for
a good read.

Ohhhh, this is probably my dream living room or library.
It has such drama in it with the ultra high ceiling, a tall
ladder to actually reach the books and drapes to soften
the space. I've always been baffled by the super high
bookcases where it's obvious that you cannot reach or
easily remove any books...To me this was always a flaw
in functionality unless the books are purely used for
aesthetics and never meant to be read again.

Here's a really cozy and homey living room with books
covering the sides of the walls. Looks like a great place
to hang out in - and to have a cup of steaming hot tea
with a good book.

House Beautiful's
Decorating With Books


This is a fun book for those who have
a love of books and how to decorate
with them.

At Home With Books

This book is for the true bibliophile. It goes
a step beyond to talk about the care of books
and how one "lives" with books in the home.
It's a great book.

Some of you may not collect books, it could
be records or cds or dvds. The same concept
pretty much applies to those items as well.
Is there something that you collect that you're
always looking for ways of storing or showcasing?


Images from Domino

18 comments:

smileybella said...

I absolutely live and breathe books but that stair thing freaks me out! My dream is to have a room with every inch of wallspace covered in books - like an old attic library. Sigh.

iva yaneva said...

books add so much character to a place, don't you think? :) plus you can find out so much about someone from their book collection. I always enjoy taking a look at the titles when I visit a friend. Beautiful selection of photos, thanks for sharing! :)

Brandi said...

I think there are few things that I love more in this world than a room full of books. They are the best decorating tool, because they speak more to who a person is than a paint color does. You can tell so much about a person by looking at their book collection. I actually have so many that they're organized by subject, then by author -- it's my own mini Dewey decimal system. Thank you so much for posting these photos. It's a perfect start to my last week at work!

vintagelaundress said...

Fantastic post! I love books also - great photos and ideas.

Tricia - Avolli said...

Books give personality to any room. A room without books is lacking personality and interest.

I love the bookshelves that have a contrasting color to the back... especially the blue and brown room.

Tricia - Avolli

Design Cracker said...

Love your post. Books are such a tell all of who we are. Theyre like mirrors. I love all the display options. Thanks
Deborah

Struggler said...

Wonderful photos. I do like the ones where the backs of the shelves are painted.
Seems to me, books are one of the easiest ways to make a house a home.

Norine said...

Okay, I am definitely not in step with everyone else on this, but we actually don't like displaying books! I keep most of my books in covered cabinets or in pretty book bags and I donate almost all my novels to the library after I read them (just keep my reference materials.) Now I feel like I have a guilty design secret . . .

Southern Aspirations said...

Personally, I think one of the keys with having books out is the art of the display. Somehow, I can't get my bookshelves to look quite right, but these are fabulous examples.

kbfenner said...

I love books, and am fine with displaying them--in some sort of way that respects them! No covering them in paper to match the decor or sorting by color or similar nonsense. You put them by subject, and even by author within a subject. You can put oversize books in a stack flat, as long as they are supported fully.If you want to reduce the solid "library" look, intersperse pottery or other objets on the ends and perhaps middles of the shelves.

Yoli said...

I think I need to move out of my house so my books can live in peace..LOL. Seriously I have too many and that picture of the books on that staircase gives me ideas.

Down Pillow said...

Some really great photos. I love the first one, but I could totally see myself tripping all the way down those stairs :)

Little Lovables / Jeweled Ambrosia said...

love all of these! I have tons of books, but I have to store them in my room, otherwise my toddlers would rip them to shreds.

Silk sheet said...

Oh wow, I love books! I have a collection of coffee table books on all different topics. As soon as I move to a bigger house, I want to display them all since they make such gorgeous decor.

Laura Casey Interiors said...

I might never get up the stairs, sit and read all night!

Franki Skye said...

Wow, I just fell madly in love with your blog. Amazing work! You've got a great eye.

Franki Skye

Alvarez said...

Books give personality to any room. A room without books is lacking personality and interest. I love the bookshelves that have a contrasting color to the back... especially the blue and brown room. Tricia - Avolli

Anonymous said...

[p]Some [url=http://www.louisvuittoncanadaonlines.com]louis vuitton canada outlet
[/url] BAG easily be seen what Release season, because the bag with the above motif at the show, such as fluorescence wide strip 2011, and before the gradation of shades stripe design . Gucci 2013 Valentine's Day special limited edition series of Gucci to the environment, to the Earth a gift of [url=http://www.louisvuittoncanadaonlines.com]louis vuitton canada online[/url] love . Valentine's Day Collection selection of leather material from the best origin, Gucci craftsmanship and tradition for nearly a century, the complex process by experienced craftsmen hand-finished . As we all know, Europe is the main exporter of leather the cortical pores produced delicate, soft and smooth, clear texture and elegant beauty . The process has the same cut staffing suture, seven [url=http://www.louisvuittoncanadaonlines.com]louis vuitton canada[/url] meticulous dyeing, strict quality checks, as well as clean . With the introduction of the world's first to be identified to use the the Amazon jungle zero destruction "leather handbags series, this origin of the brand in Florence, Italy to continue to practice its commitment [url=http://www.louisvuittoncanadaonlines.com]louis vuitton bags canada[/url] to eco-conscious commitment . The brand [url=http://www.louisvuittoncanadaonlines.com]louis vuitton purses canada[/url] new the Epi series of magic debut.[/p]