Monday, August 24, 2009

Sugar Plum Fairies, Juicy Black Currants, and the Rich, Deep Color of...Why of course PLUM!

As many of you know, purple is one of my favorite colors.
Purple is the color of royalty...of mystery...and of cassis
(black currant) macaroons ^_^

Of the many shades of purple, Plum is one that can be used
diversely. Plum is deep enough color to have depth. It can
easily be used as the main color in a room or as a great accent
color. Flat, lacquer or satin finish? Plum can be great in all 3
types of finishes.

Here, a muted plum color is paired with grey
for a very chic and refined palette.

Rococo furniture? No problem. You can
pair plum with it as well.

This entire living room is colored in a deep
plum color. The shiny and mirrored finishes
give the room a level of sophistication and luxe.

Here it is as an accent color in a very modern
room. As you can see, plum can go very well
with a bright pop of yellow. Who'd of thought?

This whole entire home has plum and yellow
accents. It's a lot of fun!

And here we are in the same home - in the
living room. Plum and yellow accents all around.
The yellow really makes the plums stand out more.

This shade of plum has some burgundy in it.
It's a surprising choice of color for an entry
room but it's rich and very nice.

Plum and brown - also a nice combination.

A rich dose of plum for the bedding anchors this
colorful and eclectic room.

Plum on the walls, plum for the accents...
Why not indeed?

Somehow, this matte purple paint goes wonderfully
with the neutral whites, linens and beiges in this room.

Plum accents galore...

What do you think? Beautiful color? Too dull? Too feminine?
Or can it be a unisex color? Now one thing that I haven't seen
is a Plum colored kitchen to go with those Sugar Plum cookies...
That would be interesting.

Photos from Domino, Elle Decor,
Trine Thorsen, Amanda Nisbet


23 comments:

Chichi and Luxe said...

oh yes definitely beautiful! my mouth is watering at the sight of those cookies. my favourite is the plum and chocolate bedroom, tres chic!

Jan said...

All of these are fab examples.
Think I prefer it muted, but yes fantastic colour !

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Not really my go to color but now that I see all of these I will give it more consideration. I really like the deep purple walls and white linens.

my favorite and my best said...

i love it too! and damn you laduree purple macaroons!!!!!

Jessie {Punctuated Life} said...

I have a slight addiction to purple in both my wardrobe and my bedroom decor, I admit. I'm really loving the deep, matte purple walls with the light neutrals!

Jill Seidner | Interior Design said...

Love this color! Such beautiful images with rooms in this color!

Dagny @ Beautiful Living said...

I really love plum with yellow! Thanks for sharing!!

me. said...

i actually gasped when i opened this post and was shown the insanely delightful purple macaroons.
...and then drooled a little as i continued on with the beauty that is this post.

DesignTies said...

Beautiful colour definitely :-) I'm a purple lover too :-) I love the muted plum and grey living room -- very chic and soft and pretty.

Kelly @ DesignTies

Norine said...

I love all these rooms and I love that color.

Judith said...

that first room could use some amber accessories and a shot of black black. The purple dining room is PERFECT!

Torie Jayne said...

Hi, Lovely use of plum in these pics, and I so want one of those macaroons! x

Blushing hostess said...

To my eye it is either really great or really not, well done in the shots here but when it is used in MLS listings it can really deplorable. Should be labelled Do Not Use without established creative ability :)

wild thyme flowers said...

I loved your selection of photos. They really show plum beautifully. Paricularily loved the first photo of the living room. However, I see what Bushing Hostess means. I have been in rooms where this colour looked dreadful.I think it takes a very sophisticated eye to get the mix spot on. By the way, the macaroons are amazing looking!

caroline @ patagonia gifts said...

oh purple is my all times fave color too! I adore all its different shades. such an amazing color! great post!

Down Pillow said...

I love the color - it's so rich & dramatic. And, I don't think it's a strictly feminine color - it has enough depth.

KarenB said...

I see why you love this color! I think it looks amazing with the pops of yellow and I really love the dining room that's all white except for the walls. G O R G E O U S!

smartchic said...

purple is also one of my fave colors. i didn't know that plum looks good with yellow and grey shades.

Southern Aspirations said...

I admit I've not been a huge purple-lover in the past. However, the plums- and the examples you've selected in particular- are fabulous. Love them!

Kristina said...

I am completely obsessed with all shades of purple right now. I love how it can be so versatile, from being girly and feminine to being strong and intense. I'm loving this post!

samia said...

i absolutely love the color.. n ineed a home solely so i can do it in a plum theme.. :) gorgeous.. i love it dark n misty.. truly intense n sensual esp paired with crisp white.. :) feast to the eye.. would definitely own a bedroom in that..

samia said...

i absolutely love the color.. n ineed a home solely so i can do it in a plum theme.. :) gorgeous.. i love it dark n misty.. truly intense n sensual esp paired with crisp white.. :) feast to the eye.. would definitely own a bedroom in that..

Alicia said...

Can you tell me where I can find the beautiful purple rug that is in one of your pictures? Is has a round design in grey or cream. It's the pic with the plums and greys shown.
Thank you