Thursday, January 14, 2010

World's Most Astounding and Beautiful Book Stores Series ~ Argentina - El Ateneo (Grand Splendid)

This looks like one of those fantastical renderings doesn't it? 
A place that just doesn't seem real...I've got news, this is a real
book store in Buenos Aires, Argentina called El Ataneo
(Grand Splendid.)  The 1919 building used to be a theater and
was repurposed as a book store.  Absolutely splendid isn't it?

Here's a fisheye view of the whole theater and the different floors.

Just stunning.

The ceiling and light fixtures are all super gorgeous. 
Talk about amazing latin american colonial architecture.

More details.  This photo from Guslight on Flickr.

The stage area is now used as a cafe and hang out place.

Great ambience.

Here's the front of the  bookstore.  Wouldn't this be
a fantastic place to spend an afternoon?

Photos from Flickr

16 comments:

Ann said...

Divine! On a related note, I found some stunning photos of beautiful libraries a few weeks ago - I think you might like these! http://thingsthatcanfly.blogspot.com/2009/12/worlds-most-beautiful-libraries.html

abodewell said...

Wow! I thought Strand in N.Y. was amazing. I think I would need at least a week to explore this place. Thanks for bringing it to light.

Splendid Market said...

Amazing. I love the name!!

stacy mayer said...

Simply amazing! Thank you for allowing me to visit your blog and feel free to visit me, too. You'll find warm hospitality there. (I'm the new girl.) XX Stacy Mayer

Kelly at I Dream of Decor said...

Simply beautiful! definately would need a week to explore as one prior poster said...

MEADE DESIGN GROUP said...

OMG! This place is unbelievable - Stunning!

sophiedahydesigns said...

I would never want to leave. Absolutely gorgeous!

henzy said...

i could live here.. die here.. be buried here.. this is my heaven

Jan said...

Wow - fabulous place.
Have a great weekend K.

Isabel said...

I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina and believe me...this place is incredible !!!!

It used to be a theather, then a cinema and now
an incredible bookstore....

Lovely place of my beautiful Buenos Aires Querido...

glamour nest said...

I agree with henzy!! when i saw the photos of this place my brain almost exploded. beautiful and full of BOOKS?!!! my heaven. thanks for the post.

best,
glamour nest

Yoli said...

Takes my breath away.

Francine Gardner said...

Stunning!! I am furious at myself for not going there.Th ebookstore was on my list to see in Buenos Aires (last November...post to follow...) but we just did not make it..too much waking, too much to see

Laura Casey Interiors said...

wow that is amazing. thanks for sharing it.

Natalia O. said...

I'm from Buenos Aires and I want to tell you thanks for showing these
pictures. I love the books too!! I`m happy for this post and by all comments. Again, thank you

Liz said...

I've been to this bookstore! It is absolutely stunning, just like in the pictures. I spent an entire afternoon there and didn't want to leave. Fun to armchair travel there again with your post, Karen!