Friday, June 18, 2010

Fashion Illustration as Art - Anne Wainscott

For art and design to hang up on walls, I've always adored water colors 
and fashion illustration.  Some designers frame vintage magazine covers
as well.  In this post, I wanted to focus on one particular fashion illustrator
called Anne Wainscott. 

There is currently an exhibit in Cincinnati called "Inspired by Anne" based
on the illustrations of Anne Wainscott put on by Landor Associates through
July.  Different illustrations by Anne are being showcased through out the
the old Shillito’s Department store buildling.

The illustration above is one of my favorites by Anne Wainscott - it mixes
two of my favorite mediums - Fashion Illustration and water color art.

Anne Wainscott is an extraordinary womanshe was a fashion illustrator for local newspapers and department stores from 1920-1970. Before the 1970’s and during the height of Ms. Wainscott’s career, the responsibility of a fashion illustrator was integral to the publishing and advertising worlds until photography became a more widely accepted medium.

It just so happens that one of the department stores that Anne used to illustrate for was Shillito’s Department store (now condos and offices), is where Landor currently houses its 125 employees.                                                                                                         

What's funny is that lately, my latest curiosity has to buy several old replicas 
of Sears & Roebuck catalogs around the turn of the century.  The catalogs
are a fascinating glimpse into the life back then and how much things cost.
The catalog is full of drawn illustrations - probably exactly like the ones that
Anne Wainscott drew.

 I love how colorful and artistic her series of hat illustrations are.

If you love fashion illustrations too, you should check out this book
the sketches and illustrations of many top designers.

Photos from Landor Associates


Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

Oh....I love the one in the turquoise dress! I wanted to be a fashion illustrator. My fantasy was to do the big department store full page ads in the Sunday paper. But alas...that job is now obsolete. I did get to do one fashion illustration for a small boutique and it ran in the Sunday paper one time. I would have loved a whole career of that.

I'm so amazed by artists that did this full time for a living. I was born too late.

Jeanne said...

Wonderful, wonderful and wonderful Karen!


Jan said...

Really like these.
Have a good weekend !

Sally@DivineDistractions said...

Ann's work really is timeless because it's really art over advertising. I love the mix of sketchy lines against the really focused and intentional color and expression in the face in the first painting. I've always wanted to draw like this, but alas, I can't let loose like that !
Love these!

Karena said...

Anne's work is wonderful. I love illustrations with color wash.

I am having a Designer Giveaway!

Art by Karena

Hello Lover... said...

Really beautiful work - thanks so much for sharing!

Mike said...

I love how the green eyes were captured.

Anonymous said...

Whats up! I just wish to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you could have here on this post.
I will probably be coming back to your blog for more soon.

My weblog ... whois

Anonymous said...

Good day! I just want to give a huge thumbs up for the nice information
you could have right here on this post. I will be coming back
to your blog for extra soon.

My web blog: chicco cortina travel system discovery manual

Anonymous said...

I have read some just right stuff here. Definitely value
bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much attempt you place to make the sort of excellent
informative website.

Here is my web blog; top 10 products

Anonymous said...

[url=]Michael Kors Outlet[/url] Even a young kid knows about different brands like Nike, Adidas and Reebok and the products available under these lines

[url=]Christian Loubouboutin Discount[/url]The different styles of these Footwear are clog styles and slipper styles

[url=]Nike Australia[/url]REI: They have 2 locations- 3285 E

[url=]Nike Air Max[/url] As long as that tiny little fibroid remains to be small gives us no fear

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...

Carla K. Picasa said...