Monday, June 7, 2010

Riad Fes in Fez, Morocco - More Gorgeous Moorish Architecture

Many of you are aware of my love of Moorish architecture.  My latest 
installment of Moorish architecture comes from Fez, Morocco where the
fabulous Riad Fes is located.  Riad Fes is a part of the Relais Chateaux 
group which is synonymous with luxury and the creme of the crop.  To 
give you an idea, The Orient Express rail group is also a part of this 
prestigious club.  As you can see above, the entrance courtyard to Riad
Fes is absolutely stunning.

Here it is during the day time.  When I see this courtyard, I feel a sense 
of calm and cleanliness.  Somewhere a little out of this world.

The inner courtyard is what a very luxurious 
yet traditional Riad might look like.

Here it is lit up at night.  The intricate tiles and 
motifs in the arches are just gorgeous.

This 8 pointed star is a very common shape
in Moroccan or Moorish architecture.

A closer look at the dipping pool shows gorgeous 
tree motifs on the wall of tiles.

No Riad is complete without a roof top terrace.  The 
views from this terrace are absolutely breathtaking.

An aerial view of the grand courtyard.

Another breathtaking view of the walled Medina.

Every room and space in the Riad is very tastefully decorated.

Love the use of the Venetian styled mirrors on the wall.

Love the dark colored motif in this room.

It's stately and elegant.

Each room boasts different color schemes, layouts and decor.

Each bathroom is also designed to match the room.  Every thought
of what a black Moroccan motif bathroom might look like?  Here 
it is paired with silver leaf which is a fine combination, I might add.

Here is something a little more traditional and homey.

Or perhaps a suite would suit you better - one with ultra tall ceilings.

And of course a luxurious bathroom.

If you enjoyed this tour or love Moroccan design as well, you should
definitely check out this book:  Architecture & Design Library - Moroccan 
Style I haven't done a post on Moroccan furniture yet but adore Moroccan 
sofas and tables.


Sally@DivineDistractions said...

While I wouldn't really want to live with the Moorish style, I can certainly appreciate the attention to detail that they aspire to create. Just beautiful.


The structural opulence is tempered with the low-profile furnishings, which is so typical of all important structures in these areas. Love those mirrors too.xx's

Hello Lover... said...

Sometimes I can't even believe that there are really places in the world that look like this - absolutely stunning!

Yoli said...

I am floored, this is just out of a dream.

pinkstilettos said...

Oh my...all of these rooms are gorgeous!

Porchlight Interiors said...

This is fast becoming one of my favourite styles...thanks for all the stunning images! Tracey xx

Leigha said...

Gorgeous! I have been swooning over anything and everything Morocco! said...

I love the details of Moorish style architecture. It's so inspiring and I can't get enough of Moroccan interiors, especially those infused with modern sensibility. Again, I love your images. I will check with you again =)

Rodney Orton said...

Well, aside from Fez, Casablanca has the most elegant Arabic architectures in the area. The houses and buildings' roofing are shingles, like in other modern Mexican and American residential areas. My aunt in Omaha, NE used to travel with her husband in MidEast and they were able to meet interior designers from companies they visited.

Nada Hamad said...

Thank you so much for these amazing pictures which I've fell in love with in 2010 when I first saw your post.

I'm now planning my honeymoon- booking in process- and we are going to Morocco!- it's my first visit there- in particular Casablanca, Fes, and Marrakech

and in Fes guess where we are staying? RIAD FES

and in Marrakech we will be staying in Riad Kaiss which is an affiliate of Dar Les Cigognes which you wrote about too! it was a tough call to chose which one of the two we choose Dar or the Riad in Marrakech as they are both breath taking but I ended up choosing Riad as the Suite there has it's own private terrace garden. I'm so excited. Thank you for introducing us to those amazing hotels.

I will share my own pictures once we go in August on my blog and link them here!

Nada Hamad said...

Hi Alkemie,

I went to Riad Fes for my honeymoon this August because of this exact post and it was amazing.

They did do some changes though;

they changed the dipping pool into a grass pit and they replaced the traditional lobby furniture with colorful french classics and topped the roof with modern outdoor furniture. You can check it out here on my page

riad marrakech said... vous propose les meilleures opportunités, Marrakech Ville et les Mille et Une Nuits vous accueille dans ses belles routes à passer un séjour