Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Tour of a Gorgeous Home and Backyard - London Chic

I hope everyone had a fantastic 3 day weekend!

I love the different color stories in this chic London home.  Every room
in this home has a fireplace which is fabulous.  Sometimes, it's hard enough
to find a house with even one fireplace.  It's actually quite an eclectic room,
 but one doesn't really notice because of how well it's tied together with the
color palette.  You've got a wicker bed with a midcentury modern dresser and
two gorgeous ornate gold mirrors.

Here's another view of the room.

Let's go back to the beginning and start at the entrance of this
wonderful home.  It's interesting how the designers put two 
skinny lamps on the radiator (radiator is used almost like a 
super slim console table with an over sized mirror on top.

A look into the sitting room.

The cozy sitting room is nice and bright with 
neutral colors for the walls and drapes.

This home is interesting because it has a sitting area and a 
living room next to each other.  No television in either room.

On we go to the kitchen which has clean lines and a 
simple off white color palette with an open dining area.

I love the different fabrics and patterns on the 
chairs as well as the over sized painting.

The wallpaper in this bedroom is just stunning.  Notice the railing 
high up on the wall - not a chair rail.  There's no rule against putting
railing like this higher on the wall - it draws the eye upwards.

Another look at the same room.

Isn't this a light and spacious bathroom and vanity area?
I adore bathrooms with lots of lighting and it is unusual
to have such large windows in a bathroom.  This room 
was probably made to be a bedroom but was made into 
a bathroom instead - just brilliant.

 A closer look at the wallpaper.

This house as a fantastic backyard.

Isn't the space just dreamy?  Like a secret garden.

What a great area to have a friend over to have tea with and hang out. 

If you enjoyed this tour and are looking for any books about
homes in London, this might be a good one to check out: 

Hope you enjoyed this tour.  Which room was your favorite
and why?

Photos by 1st Option London


Anonymous said...

It's a picture rail, though they haven't made use of it in any of the rooms to hang the art or mirrors!

Jan said...

Can't pick a favourite room Karen - like it all.
Somehow pictures never seem to hang, or look right when hanging off picture rails - explains why :)

vicki archer said...

I love the brave use of wallpaper which I think works so well in London houses...xv

Jeanne said...

I agree with Vicki and I love that bathroom. It is the colour of the English countryside..green, green, green.
This book looks great...off to Amazon to check it out.
Thanks for the tip!!


DANY said...

bellissime foto complimenti

Hello Lover... said...

I love this! I'm going to post that bedroom on my blog and I'll direct people back to yours for all the pictures. I love the wallpaper and mirrors on both sides of the fireplace in that bedroom - it's beautiful! If the rest of that book is anything like this home I'm definitely going to have to pick that one up!

Sally@DivineDistractions said...

Lots of eye candy in those pictures. I'm saving this post to go back and study a little more. I really like the wallpapers used, and I'm loving the whimsy of the spaces as well. Great post!

Sarah said...

I cannot get over the wallpapers and textiles in this house. Where does one even find these? Do you have you use a designer or is there a way to purchase textiles like that myself? I know I've never seen anything so gorgeous at any fabric shop I've been to...

Annie@A View On Design said...

wow - that is pretty fantastic - no doubt about it!

alison (semi-fab lane) said...

this house is AMAZING! great round up of all the rooms-i just can't get over all of the spectacular elements, down to the cute tie front pillow in the sitting room. this house rocked my world today! thanks for sharing!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Londoners have such a brilliant way with wallpapers. I adore every room full of them! Especially that green bathroom. Glorious!

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Wow love it all. Interesting that the red dress makes a great picture too.


I've been reading blogs for a couple of years now...have seen a lot of wonderful rooms and homes...this has to be my absolute favorite. Perfection. Thanks for sharing...the little dining area has inspired me to do over my little dining area...thanks for the inspiration.

Visual Vamp said...

We use picture rails at the shop I work in, and we love them.
The book looks great.
Thanks for sharing.
xo xo

crash pad girl said...

Wow, I really like the skinny lamps in the entrance,and the sitting room. I feel inspired. Thanks.


I love the juxtaposition of styles, patterns and textures.

Great space!

Anonymous said...

I'd have to say that the sitting and living rooms are my favourite - so much to see and so eclectic!

shabnam yasmin said...

Astonished... luxurious home :)

qerat said...

Love the style and all the different patterns

tiffanyandink said...

My mother-in-law, who is English, would love the use of wallpaper. Pretty brave in a bathroom too and that wallpaper is heavenly. The odd thing in the bathroom is the use of glass of some kind up against the wall above the tub. I understand the purpose, but from a design perspective, that's when you get a free standing tub and position it a bit away from the wall. It just makes me cringe because the room is so perfect, except for that, in my opinion. It's like when ladies cover their couch in clear plastic. Just kind of tacky. But again, that's just me, but it's beautiful still.