Monday, August 16, 2010

Antiques and Flea Market Shopping in London England


Continuing off inspiration from Lonny magazine, there
is a section in their latest issue on flea markets and
antiques.  I don't know about you, but I am totally a 
self professed flea market, antiques and thrift shop
addict.  I can spend literally hours or a whole day 
shopping at an antiques or flea market. 

If you're in London, there are some famous streets for 
antiques shopping.




Cath Kidston's suggestion above which names the
most well known antiques shopping arcades and
open air antiques and flea market on Portobello
Road.








Rachel Ashwell of Shabby Chic gives
her tips for shopping on Portobello Road.

It seems to be a unanimous tip to shop 
there on Friday and to avoid Saturday.


Rachel Ashwell navigating Portobello Road.

If you're going to be in London any time soon and 
you're interested in visiting antiques stores, this book
is a great book that gives good details to the flea and
antiques market in London.

Any of you have gone antiquing or flea market shopping
around the world?  If so, where have you gone and where
are your favorite places?


13 comments:

Dovecote Decor said...

We are big on DUMBO Flea in NYC, but I have had huge luck at the Sloan Kettering thrift store on 81st and 3rd as well as the MS thrift store next door. The Village house has been amazing. I've scored some valuable Kipps views, which I already collect. Its the thrill of the chase--I searched for years for those prints, so I guess I earned them.
Liz

Glamourshoes said...

I love flea markets, too. It does seem that it is getting harder and harder to find good ones! I seem to be having better luck in thrift stores. Housing Works in NYC always has a treasure and the Opera and Symphony shops across the country have provided the best finds for me lately.

Yoli said...

London is one of the best places.

Jeanne said...

Great post ...lots of ideas which I will be sure to write down. Brick Lane in London is fun for funky vintage too. Agree that Portabello is a zoo on Saturdays. I go to the antique fair @ Sandown Park in Esher..you just never know what you will find :)

Jeanne

Mélanie A. said...

I love to go antiquing in London. i'm going to write down some ideas

Lila said...

My mother-in-law lives in London and I guarantee she's never been to any flea markets. Thanks for the info, I'm definitely forwarding this page to her!
xoxo
Lila Ferraro

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Thank you from the bottom of my shopping basket for the great list of markets & shops. We hope to be living in the U.K. by years end & this will be of great use.

All the best to you ~ Deb

joana said...

next time i travel to london, i'll be sure to go to some flea market. i love festivals with street vendors and that type of thing, i'll definitely like flea markets too.

just wish i was going to london right away!

Tina said...

Love antique stores and flea markets. Haven´t been to many outside where I live. Yet, have found some great pieces around my small town. But of course would love to visit one in London. What a dream! Will write it all down. You never now...
Thanks for sharing!

Mango Gal said...

As a teenager, I remember my parents took my sister and I on a trip to Italy where we stayed in Bologna. Right outside of our hotel they were having a little flea market full of antiques. I bought myself these beautiful vintage earrings with light blue stones. Even to this day they are still my favorite pieces of jewelry.

Mike said...

I want a t-shirt with the uk flag on it.

Anonymous said...

Awesome site you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any community forums
that cover the same topics discussed in this article?
I'd really like to be a part of community where I can get comments from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Appreciate it!

Here is my web blog; zubzero refrigerator Brandon *youtube.com*

Anonymous said...

Hi colleagues, pleasant post and fastidious arguments commented here, I am actually enjoying by these.



Here is my weblog Downloadicus.com